what NOT to do with your subi

since this fine piece ride is totally out of the question, i'm trying to keep my turbo-charged, tinted, alloy rims and bike rack ready rig in the best shape possible. in reality, cars are a huge waste of hard-earned dinero. however, in practice, i can't help but check out a fine ride and thus am in constant conflict with recognizing their environmental and economic impact, and appreciating good design, innovation and pure power. but as a digression, i've made a pact with myself to

  1. keep my car until it's completely economically and environmentally senseless to drive
  2. drive my car as little as possible - commute by bike is so much more fun!
  3. admire all fine cars from afar - i'm cool with that. it's always ok to look.
considering #1 (see above), maintenance called on my ride. hints that said maintenance was necessary included hitting the 30,000 mile mark, a long-overdue oil change, and a flat tire which i've been avoiding dealing with by carrying around an air compressor to get me to and from the few places i need to drive. 6 hour window - there and back!

I made an appointment with the dealer last week and asked about pricing to perform repairs + maintenance. they wanted a cool 700$+ to check her over ("30,000 mile maintenance") and change the oil. i nearly passed out. especially considering the last time she was serviced there, they forgot to replace the gas cap after inspection. i figured this out after the engine light turned on as i was heading south on 95 through maryland. my faith in their inspection skills has since been in question.

today i brought her to the local repair shop where i used to service my slowly dying chevy (not unlike e's exploder!). i told them my dilemna and explained i didn't have 600 bills to cover the dealer's eye exams, donut supply and cable bill (digital is pricey), i mean service fees.

i road down to pick up my subi after work today. they checked her over, fixed what was broken, changed the oil and charged me just around 100$ for it all - maintenance + service.

lesson learned - DON'T take any vehicle to the dealer unless it's a warranty item! unless you've got a few hundred bills in your pocket that you're itchin to throw away.

No comments: