Tears - A first time Wilderness 101 finish!

I rolled down the last stretch of flat, muddy grassy rail trail splashing straight through each and every sloppy puddle of mud. At this point - after being on my bike for 12 + hours, I didn't care. Sites were set on Coburn - the finish of 101+ miles that I had just ridden in the woods. I approached the last of two wooden bridges - a hiker was in the middle - he saw me coming and hopped over the side out of my way. I joked with him that I may not be able to ride straight at this point... he laughed.

I remembered this bridge - it's not much wider than the width of my bars. Over the bridge I saw the tunnel. The LAST TUNNEL that lead out to the road - to Coburn. It was dark, smelly and rocky - keep to the right... fewer rocks. I used my lights. What the hell, I had carried them from aid station 4, minus well...

Then came the road. Holy Shit I MADE IT (emphasis on the holy shit part). I started to choke up with tears as Coburn was so close. let me repeat - I MADE IT!

Reynolds and I rolled down the road. Soon I saw the park across the river - I remembered this from a ride Killer and I had done in weeks prior. I was riding alone. I road into the park, after being on my bike for 13 hours, in tears yet grinning from ear to ear. I felt no pain, just joy. I HAD FINISHED THE WILDERNESS 101 - a 101 mile MOUNTAIN BIKE RACE. I looked around for my friends -all there.

The first face I saw was Billy - he stood up and started to scream. Chris Scott looked my way and announced my finish.

Then came the roar. Everyone was cheering. And from what I hear, it was one of the loudest cheers of the day. I think they all knew what finishing meant to me. And how this past year has been the first that i've tacked on so many miles - let alone miles in the woods. They were all witness to my finish of this crazy 100 mile mountain bike race. (they'd all finished hours before ofcourse!).

I rolled up to the finish line and rang the infamous 101 "gong"! HELL YEA!
Jimbo smiled giving me a high five "nice job rock star!!"
One by one, they gathered to congratulate. Chip, Ray, Stephanie, Allen, Richie, Aaron, Peter, Eric, Cecilia, Jim... Cowboy and Peter ran up and gave me huge hugs. I think there were more there too... I was deliriously tired so it is a bit of a blur. I embraced the hugs even though I was a slimy mess of sweat and mud.

I was SO HAPPY. They knew.

I made my way back to my car to give Reynolds a rest. He'd put out enough for one day, he earned it. Cecilia came to find me with a cup of cold beer.
"You were awesome," she said " I just wanted to see you finish."
She hugged me again. Really, she's the one who's awesome!
It was as if everyone WANTED to see me finish.
I ran into Justin and he also showed no fear of the cycling muddy slime. Another huge hug. He and Jim kept me going at aid station four... more about that in my next blog.

I'll remember these moments for a long time. Not only the satisfaction surrounding finishing this crazy event. Of pushing through one of the lowest low's I've endured on a bike. But also the support that I felt from the cycling community. It's hard to imagine how alone I felt a year ago. And how weak. Life has changed. The incredible roar of people yelling for me at that finish, was confirmation. As slow as I am, I feel strong and empowered.

I finished this ride in part because of the incredible cycling community in this town. (Honestly, I still can't believe that I finished.) All of the group rides, pushing each other past our limits yet still having so much fun. My riding buddy Peter who pushed me out onto the trails when I was fearful to even try. Draggin me along on long mountain bike rides and even coercing me out on group rides even though I was painfull slow and fearful of so much. All of the laughter and jokes made all of the riding so fun and slowly I improved.

In these past years, I've made so many incredible, supportive, positive, understanding friends. I love them all. I'm lucky to even know them.

To all of my riding buddies, and friends who sent messages of support and encouragement before and after -- this is to you. YOU ARE AMAZING. I'm lucky to know you. Thank you for getting to know me and taking the time to include me in your life.

Thank you.

Play by play of the race to come...

5 comments:

Peter Buckland said...

When we were marking the course I said that one of the greatest things about this race is the incredible bonding that comes from it. It's been grand. So when you come back are we gonna do a Wednesday/Thursday (what day is it?) Magic Mo?

Unknown said...

Absolutely FANTASTIC Leah. What a way to culminate your journery. I told you about the tears! They are awesome tears. If you ever have a bad day and question yourself, just think about this: You have completed the 101 & you have completed a double century, all over a six week period. That my friend is conquering something that very few can imagine. Now people will be saying, if only I could ride like Leah!!!

Anonymous said...

With friends like us you'll NEVER fail! :) YOU got the loudest cheer of day because YOU are an awesome person. WE are lucky to know YOU. Have a blast in Yosemite!!!

Cowboy

kvs said...

Hey, Leah. We had to leave a bit early to take our crumbling little ones home, but I was anxiously waiting for your "did it" post to facebook. Knew you could, after all that! You have inspired me -- I've been hitting the trails/fireroads/etc since we got home a week and a half ago, including on a 101 pre-ride Sat am. Tough conditions to do the whole race in, you should be extra proud!! If only I can ride like Leah..

Gimme a holler if you want some company on the trail after you're back from Yosemite. Meanwhile, if your legs are recovered, there's some fantastic hiking/scrambling to be had just on the E side of Tuolumne (e.g. Conness).
Kendra

mountain bound said...

sweet -- thanks guys!!!
total bonding!! :)

kendra-- i actually did camp right under conness - went backpacking. we didn't summit it as the direction we went was a climbing only so we went up the ridge then back the other way to the peak next to it - also like 12,500'. it was sweet. and a super cold night well below freezing :)