Renovo - 130 miles of saddle love

Yesterday, the crew embarked on the 4th epic riding adventure of the summer - Renovo - a 130 mile road ride. We've done Troxelville, 120 miles of killer climbing (and horse shit!), the double (210 miles of killer backcountry roads), the 101 (101 miles of mountain bike fun) and now Renovo.

While this ride only has one major climb, numerous "rollers" (hilly terrain) successfully tore my legs to shreds without even realizing it was happening. The ride was nearly 8,000' of climbing! We rolled out from the creamery on campus 13 deep (Killer's enthusiasm always draws a crowd!)!

Cowboy lookin super - roadie??!!

let me cut your cake with my knife...nuf said.

peter came equipped with lyrics ... rad.

I felt good for the first 30 miles, but crashed hard. Maybe this is what happens when you're off your bike for 2.5 weeks and try to come back with a 130 mile ride and on 3.5 hours sleep. Or perhaps it's just a pace that kicked my ass. It was a hard day, YET, I was so happy to be out with the crew. We've bonded this summer in a way that's hard to describe with words. You just need to be on a ride to see. I missed them when I was away! They grilled me about my trip... "so, who took the swimming pictures???" hmmmm.....

Mountain bikers turned roadies always provide good comic relief. Cowboy provided early on entertainment falling over right next to me at a very "technical" intersection. Good work buddy! If only the camera had made it out in time to capture that special moment. Bob, was our mountain biker turned roadie for the day. He was confused about sprinting for town signs and wanted to take his bike off road in the worst way. Amazingly, he stayed totally upright even when diverging off of the pavement. (stay ON the road bob AND it's just county and township signs that count. No, park or stream crossing signs do not count. cattle crossing signs can count - sometimes)

Lunch in Renovo. I stole this pict from Bob on facebook.

Cruisin. This pict is James'. It's pretty sweet. I want a helmet cam in the worst way. Or some tiny camera that i can attach to my jersey.

We stopped at the Lock Haven (Mill Hall?) aka Whoopie Pie Sheetz (ah the memories, me eating a whoopie pie and drinking coke at mile 180... the 20 minute high thereafter and subsequent crash). 100 miles in - a little over 5 hours of riding time. No wonder I was tired!

Yay - Linda! She's a killer.

Eric...

I'm not quite sure what Cowboy is doing here. He's special. We like him that way though. ;)
Right: Jim!

Left: James taking picts. Peter and Linda anticipating the last 30 rollin miles.
Right: mmmm Reynolds steel - only the best. But the Serotta is NOT to be confused with knobby Reynolds himself.

Runkle - check out those white shoes!

Left: Mike; Right: Todd has his own spot at reserved Sheetz. now THAT'S special. :)

Peter and Josh as discussing something deep and meaningful. "What is the meaning of love?" "Does the soul exist?" Peter won the green jersey for the day hands down. Josh was pretty bummed he didn't get any points all day. Next time Josh! You've got it in ya.

Right: I'm fairly certain Peter is singing something like "oh I, had the time of my life... and I owe it all to you..." to Josh. I dunno - just my guess. I didn't hear the predator theme song ALL DAY (wtf??)

We topped the day off with food and drink at Ottos. Another epic day -- good times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a star for hanging. And its not the mileage or climbing, its the pace. 20 mph century? 19 mph through 125? CRAZY. Bob and I nearly died trying to bridge back after we picked up the dropped lube.
Great post!

Cowboy