the screen

i don't always answer my phone. i figure, if the topic is that important, a voice mail will be left or a txt sent. especially if the number is foreign to me - i don't answer. this week i remembered why i placed this policy into effect many years ago.

yesterday my bosses wife called me at 8am. boy do i regret that moment of weakness where i shared my digits with her. that's a whole different blog. tonight, another number that has called a few times in the past week appeared at 10:30 pm just as i was settling in from my evening gym workout.

like an idiot i answered thinking it may be someone of interest. it was interesting but definitely not someone of interest. it was said boy from the gym ... girl bike guy for those who have read my blogs in the past... who has called a few times past and always manages to insult me in about a 100 different ways.

it was a painful conversation.

about 5/10 minutes in, i managed to get a break.

"i need to dry my hair"
"ok, i'll call you back"

atleast i didn't say i needed to brush it right?

but i did - seriously have wet hair. i just had gotten out of the shower and i don't like to sleep with wet hair.

11pm... ring again. i had to answer this time because he knew i was there. the pain continued.

atleast my hair was dry.

somehow the topic of shopping came up. i had told him earlier at the gym that i don't like to shop. at the gym this made me the "perfect wife". how did he know that is my life long dream. i think he had the apron picked out and everything.

yet on the phone, not enjoying the act of being in stores, and rather being outside doing fun things makes me an anomaly.


"why don't you like to shop" he asked
"because i don't enjoy it - i do it cause i have to"
"do you have some sort of phobia about walls?" he asked "if i took all of the walls out of the store, would you then feel more comfortable"
"no, i simply don't like to shop" i replied. "i'd rather be doing something else that is fun"

he didn't get it. the fun continued...

"how many pillows do you sleep with"
"um... i have a lot of pillows" (i do - but this is a borderline personal question to ask right?)

"do you sleep with one in between your legs"

woah cowboy - let's keep in above the belt for now ok? we just met. (well not really but... come on)

"say something - you're making me carry on the entire conversation" he continued.

i tried but i was speachless. or perhaps it was the *walls*. actually, i think i was still contemplating the pillow question. wherever did he come up with that? AND after that, what can possibly be said? he set the bar high.

i'm generally a patient person, however my attention span is short and i just did not want to deal with this tonight. i'm hungry, tired and would rather talk to my friends who don't ask me about my sleeping habits or challenge my shopping preferences over and over. at 11:20 i finally cut it off.

i made it to round 3 but it was a knock out... and enough is enough. i tried to be polite.

what can you do? he hasn't asked me out so i can't tell him no. i'm not even sure why he's calling to be honest. how do i make it stop short of not answering the phone?

note to self: rejection hotline might not be that bad of an idea after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you give sketchy guys your number? The next time you meet a guy who asks for your number just remember "Slackass says no!"

And about the pillow...I sleep with one under my knees but I have severe knee/hip problems if I don't keep them slightly bent when I sleep. So there is a medical and not perverted reason for keeping a pillow in the leg area. Maybe he was concerned about your own medical issues...trying to find out if you're genetically fit to have children with.

Or he was just a pervert.

mountain bound said...

screw that. i'm done with being nice. i gave him my number AGES ago when i was all naive about the whole dating process. seriously months ago.its taken him a while to call i guess but whatever. but in my defense he did seem relatively normal at the time.

but i've also learned since then to not do that.

dude - how the heck are ya girl? i've got an email comin your way.

Ry said...

Naive about the whole dating process...wtf?! so you just gave your digits out to any old fella who winked at you? you're funny, Prof.
ry

mountain bound said...

OK - so lesson learned. :) hahahaha. and learned the hard way. but hey - it made for a mildly entertaining blog so some good came from it.