a cloudy blue moon

I am not into celebrating holidays. To me it's a time of largely excessive consumerism and qualification of relationships via gestures, often monetary in nature, that largely happen at this time because society says they should. It's not that i don't appreciate thinking about other people. It's the notion that it must be done, given particular timing and in a particular way regardless of appropriateness or sentiment. It's can be a largely consumer fed capitalist push. It feels contrived.

However, in the same regard, the holidays can be a lonely time. Not only a reminder of what you have, but also, what you don't have. Given that thought, I decided to not grapple with the demons that I normally tackle this time of the year. I decided to not plan and just do. I followed my heart to a place that I knew would clear my head. I experienced the first minutes of 2010, relaxed, at peace, content, satisfied and happy. i experienced it in a place that is special to me in a way that words can't quite convey. My perspective of the forest as illustrated via Avatar, captures some of how I feel.

And so, while my camera can't quite capture the adventure in full, it provides a window... to something... Here's to putting a year of mixed unbelievable highs and heart-wrenching lows behind and to starting anew in the most positive of lights... and so begins the NYE under a cloudy blue moon.

The subi KILLS the snow. Right: My plastic brown dog. she freezes solid and glazes over when the temps drop below 36.5

The ridge. Rock / snow gardens??

Cowboy texted me during the day and was down with the blue moon. Right: trailwork!

lovely...

There was a ghost on the ridge. it told me stuff... ;)


a soft snowy wonderland.

magical canopy

precariously leaning snags... RIGHT: fireworks at midnight... (and gun fire - sketchy!)

and the trail takes me...
WHEREVER I WANT TO GO.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone. follow your heart and the path that suits you best.

3 comments:

eric and gretta said...

tripod and long exposures are another way to let what little light that is out really come through

Anonymous said...

Almost without exception, the online generation lacks genuine introspection, mental and physical toughness, and a sense of adventure. Almost. You are the exception. Have a great year Leah.

mountain bound said...

Thank you for the kind words. Have a great year as well!