Broken - pii

Well doc says I broke my ankle. it's my first fracture so I think it's deserving of a cake. If you're reading this feel free to indulge me. I'll think about what I want and post accordingly.

it's a hairline splinter type deal where the bone has tiny breaks at the joint from impact... there's blood and swelling and lots of other goodness... like pain when i forget and put weight on it. bottom line is... i'm kinda gimpy. and grumpy - although i'm trying my best to fight the grump and laugh at the gimp. Is that PC to say? I mean after all this means I have lots of time to work on my proposal with little distraction. it needs to be reorganized. The good news is I have a brand new set of tupperware with color coded, matching lids so i'm thinking that will help. right?

Today i went to work as remote login and being house bound for two days was a bit isolating. I put flat pedals on my rockhopper since it has lots of gears and padding via knobby fat tires and road all the way in climbing alan street with my right leg. Call me a one-legged beast. Ok... on second thought please don't. that's a totally weird thing to say.

Stop it.
thanks.

It only took twice as long to get to work with the added satisfaction of doing something outside - that was alright. I made my way into campus as I wanted to talk to my advisor / boss about my proposal since he'd read it and had asked to meet; this worked out well since he decided not to come in today.

So i hung out with Val in the lab, and fielded all of the questions, comments and concern I was hoping to avoid like "oooh, looks like that hurts", "what did you do", and my favorite " you need a wheelchair to walk around". And then came the stories of other broken bones and accidents. Totally awesome. After a day of fun and games, i got on my bike and road / rolled home.

But the good of today: Gdogg hooked me up tonight though with a fork mount for my rollers. This is pretty awesome as getting out tomorrow may be a challenge if it snows. Thanks GDOGG!!

Plus this. I can't stop laughing every time I read it. (read the right hand side below the letter from the apartment manager). They are very small ducks.

it's just been that kinda week, but hopefully, i'll heal fast. it can only get better... right?

5 comments:

Jigger said...

Please tell me you didn't break it running.

mountain bound said...

nope... climbing... totally stupid accident - fell from like 4-5 feet up! but missed the crash pad / mat. heh... lovely. ;)

Jigger said...

I take it that the fall was so sudden you didn't "go with it" and let your knees, etc. help absorb the impact. The thing is as much as it hurts to break a bone, it's better you didn't have any cartilage damage...bones heal in weeks; cartilage takes a year.

Chihiro (CK) Mather said...

How are you feeling?! You must miss being active a lot..... but let it heal : ) Have a wonderful weekend!

mountain bound said...

the fall was not from a high spot and i'm used to landing on the soft crash pad. Also my foot slipped between the mat (which is thick) and the wall (imagine just maybe 6" or so ...) so the way it was wedged and how close i was to the wall there wasn't really room to bend and think about landing.

ck - much better! thanks! hope ur feeling better too... i do miss being active a lot but i've found ways to channel my energy in other directions for the meantime :) hope all is well!