wiper

today marked the end of a month-long, and extremely dramatic saga otherwise known as the

"why the hell can't anyone sell me the correct rear wiper blade saga"


here's how it all began. about a month ago, i decided that the wiper blades on my Subaru needed to be replaced. The plastic blades were shredding off and glass meets metal is never healthy. 2 years was enough time spent together. it was time for something new. so i went into advanced auto to get me a new set of blades. the front ones were easy. look them up in the little book. select one of the 10 billion brands that offer subaru compatible blades from the shelf. double check with the guy behind to counter to make sure the selection is suitable for my super sweet, turbo ride. Then wallah - new blades. In fact, the guys at advanced will even help you install them.

nice.

they were outta rears (rear blades for those of you whose minds are in the gutter - i'm not that kinda girl) - go somewhere else.

whatever. onward i went. Napa was the next stop. about a week later i went in to look for a new rear wiper blade. I couldn't find the part number on the shelf so i asked the hip young tatooed boy behind the counter for help. he picked one out and promised it would work.

fine.

i went out to attempt to install it.

it wouldn't fit. Damn.

back in i went and he came out to help me.

still wouldn't fit.

return. he suggested i go to the dealer and onward i went.

a week later i found the time to roll up to the local subaru dealer in town - which, by the way, totally BITES for numerous reasons. and THEY, sold me the part. the kind man behind the counter even brought it out and showed me how to detatch the rear wiper from the arm. it's a bit tricky. he put it back on so i could replace the blade on my own later.

so - last night as i was waiting for the wax to set on my car i decided to switch out my 5 dollar blade. can't be that complicated right?

after about 10 minutes of messing with it i got it off and upon initial attempts to install the new one, i realized that it was TOO SHORT. did the subaru dealer parts guy not see this when he showed me how to install it??

my goodness man!!!

i forced the old, shredded blade back on the arm which was no easy task.

today, i ventured back to the dealer before work armed with the faulty part. the guy recognized me so even though i was lacking a receipt, he switched it out for another part.

i immediately walked out to my car and in the 80 degree sun, switched out the blade.

thank goodness. and it only took a month.

2 car parts stores and 2 trips to the dealer later, a 5 dollar wiper blade became a souvenir - a memory of sorts, of a memorable search for the mysterious rear wiper blade. only in central PA would it be this difficult.

i saved the box. maybe someday i'll frame it.

1 comment:

Eric Liskow said...

Geez Leah... Fine I'll go somewhere else :)