fragile

It's been a hard few weeks.
But harder yet is this story of a woman, battling cancer. She died Thursday, on the scene, after being hit by a truck; her husband was taking her to the hospital for treatment. To some it's just another headline in the news. To others, it's all too real.

I'm not sure how to process this information. What do I say to her husband when I see him next? Do I send a card? That hardly seems to be a meaningful gesture.
Is there anything, anything in the world that I could do to make things better? What about their family? Her sister?

my heart is sore contemplating this tragic story of fighting losing the one who means most to you in the world in one way to a consuming disease; but then watching them disappear suddenly and abrasively - the unexpected.

life is - fragile. live it while it's here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leah, I would encourage you to send a card at the very least. All the cards and gestures of kindness meant a tremendous amount to my Mom when she so suddenly and unexpectedly lost her husband of 50 years this past February. Kendra

Violet said...

What sad news, Leah. During the time that I was losing my mom, I truly appreciated and admired the courage of people to bring it up, ask me how I was doing, send cards, emails (an empty inbox can be really depressing when you are grieving), and make a phonecall (even if I could not talk at the time). Sometimes just being honest and saying, 'I don't know what to say' with a hug is enough. Another thing I learned from others is to offer specific help and not just 'I am here for you.' I am still not very good at this myself, but just making an extra serving of dinner to leave with him, or telling him you want to take his dog for a walk is nice. Hope this helps.

Violet said...

Violet is me, Lisa, by the way. Under Violet's name for her blog...

Sorry again to hear about the sad news.