perspective: thoughts on life's struggles


One day Zarathustra had fallen asleep under a fig tree, for it was hot, and had put his arms over his face. And an adder came and bit him in the neck, so that Zarathustra cried out in pain. When he had taken his arm from his face, he looked at the snake, and it recognized the eyes of Zarathustra, writhed awkwardly, and wanted to get away. “Oh no,” said Zarathustra, “as yet you have not accepted my thanks. You waked me in time, my way is still long.” “Your way is short,” the adder said sadly; “my poison kills.” Zarathustra smiled. “When had a dragon ever died of the poison of a snake?” he said. “But, take back your poison. You are not rich enough to give it to me.” Then the adder fell around his neck a second time and licked his wound.

When Zarathustra once related this to his disciples they asked: “And what, O Zarathustra, is the moral of your story?” Then Zarathustra answered thus:

The annihilator of morals, the good and just call me: my story is immoral.

But if you have an enemy, do not requite him evil with good, for that would put him to shame. Rather prove that he did you some good….A wrong shared is half right. And he who is able to bear it should take the wrong upon himself.

Nietzsche

thanx CJ (AKA cyclocross jess)

No comments: